April 27, 2017
This event has taken place
and registration is closed.
Please explore our exciting
upcoming special events!
02/19/2018 10:05:55 pm
Abigail Pogrebin knew a lot about a lot of things, whether the news biz (she was a producer at 60 Minutes and PBS); the publishing world (she’s authored two books and a multitude of articles); or pop culture (she currently moderates the What Everyone’s Talking About interview series). Still, Pogrebin knew comparatively little about her own religious rituals. So she decided to spend a year researching, observing and chronicling the milestones of the Jewish calendar. My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew is the candid, funny and moving result.
Just as the book is interspersed with reflections from prominent Jewish thinkers, tonight’s discussion will be, too, as we are fortunate to be welcoming the following panelists:
- Rabbi Sharon Brous (Conservative), cofounder of IKAR, which aims to reanimate Jewish life in the 21st century; and one of The Daily Beast’s top 50 American rabbis, who blessed President Obama and Vice President Biden at the Inaugural National Prayer Service in 2013.
- Romemu’s Rabbi David Ingber (Jewish Renewal), one of the 50 most influential rabbis in the nation, according to Newsweek, and a proponent of reinvigorated Jewish mysticism.
- The JCC Manhattan director Rabbi Joy Levitt (Reconstructionist), founder of the Jewish Journey Project, which aims to revolutionize Jewish childhood education.
- Kehilath Jeshurun’s Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz (Modern Orthodox), a veteran pulpit rabbi and community leader who is known as “The Happiness Warrior” on his blog.
- Temple Emanu-El’s own Rabbi Joshua Davidson (Reform), senior rabbi of the oldest Reform synagogue in New York City, widely recognized advocate of interfaith dialogue and board member of Partnership of Faith in New York City.