10 COMMANDMENTS | 10 RABBIS | 10 CHEESECAKES
May 15, 2018
This event has taken place
and registration is closed.
Please explore our exciting
upcoming special events!
In preparation for Shavuot, when we mark receiving the Torah at Sinai, the Streicker Center will take you beyond all the “Thou Shalt Nots” you learned in Hebrew School.
We’ve asked ten esteemed rabbis to spend ten minutes each analyzing a single commandment. Their unique blends of ancient wisdom and 21st-century insights will leave you with an entirely new perspective on the commandments—and Shavuot itself.
And in honor of the richest holiday tradition, we will end by tasting ten flavors of New York’s finest cheesecake.
The evening’s moderator, Abigail Pogrebin, explored Shavuot traditions in her widely lauded book, My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew.
- Rabbi Joshua Davidson, Congregation Emanu-El
- Rabba Yaffa Epstein, The Pardes Institute of Jewish Studies
- Rabbi Lawrence Hoffman, HUC-JIR/NY
- Rabbi David Ingber, Romemu
- Rabbi Lila Kagedan, Walnut Street Synagogue
- Rabbi Elie Kaunfer, Mechon Hadar
- Rabbi Stephanie Kolin, Central Synagogue
- Rabbi Dov Linzer, Yeshivat Chovevei Torah
- Rabbi Joanna Samuels, Manny Cantor Center
- Rabbi Mychal Springer, Center for Pastoral Education at JTS